Thursday, December 3, 2009

Politics vs. Sport

I think that most people in America pay much more attention to sports than they do politics. I could be wrong but I know that at my apartment ESPN is on a lot more than CNN, and I feel like this is true with most people, especially college students. In reality, this is probably a bad thing because in the long run sports does not really matter. Many people, myself included, don't know very much about the current policies or issues involved in today's government. They can much more easily name off sport standings or scores. One reason for this is that sports are far more entertaining. How many people would rather watch a football game over a meeting debating the future of our country? But which is more important? With this in mind I think that more people probably need to pay more attention to what is going on in the world of politics, which I think includes law making and governmental policies. Truthfully, though I am not really sure what is considered politics because I will admit that I am not well informed in that area. The fact that people care so much more about sports can be problematic because they will not be well informed when they vote for politicians to run the country. This could make them vote for the wrong person to represent them.

I think that people, politicians especially, realize the impact and following that sports have, so they try to use that following to integrate some of their ideas and gain support. Sports are a great venue for politcians to use because there is such a strong national connection involved with sports.

1 comment:

  1. I think the 2nd paragraph is a really good. Obama is noted for being perhaps the biggest sports lover out of any president, and even has appealed to many citizens because of his love for sports. He appeared on SportsCenter before last season's NCAA Basketball Tournament and even filled out a bracket with ESPN's Andy Katz, which was a pretty unprecedented event.

    ReplyDelete