Thursday, December 3, 2009

Politics & Sports (Jordan Garretson)

I think in general, in our country, people care more about sports than politics. I think a big reason for this is the public's loss of trust for political figures. With the growing amount of scandals and lies from politicans over the years, I think our trust of the political system has gradually decreased.

Then again, on that same note, sports seem to be increasingly "corrupt" as well. More scandals, deaths, crimes, etc seem to be more prevalent in sports today. Still, our interest in sports don't seem to dwindle, unlike in politics.

Also, I believe politics are a lot more easy to just flip on the TV and enjoy. If you're uninformed, it's a lot harder to turn on a political debate rather than a sporting competition if you're uninformed about the two teams.

I think it can be problematic because it can lead to an uninformed voting public, which can lead to either poor decisions in elections, or voter apathy. I feel like the American population also takes the privilege of the right to vote for granted, and it's unfortunate.

3 comments:

  1. I do believe that you mean sports are easier to just flip on the TV and enjoy and I couldn't agree more. People live busy, stressful, and hectic lives the last thing they want to be doing is turning of CSPAN for two hours and trying to form their stance of intense issues. I feel sports generally happen to be something people enjoy and have a rather positive feeling towards. Most people want to spend their free time with something enjoyable something that is not going to remind them of their daily grind. Sports for the most part dos this, they create an environment that is more enjoyable than politics in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree that people care more about sports than they do politics. Like i said in my original post each one of these things do get involved with each other. But, the matter of fact is that sports have some of the highest television ratings in the world. I think this proves that people focus more on sports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going off of Jordan's last point about voting, it is not necessarily a bad thing that not everyone is interested. Without trying to get too political, I personally don't want just everyone going to vote if they don't know what the heck is going on with our government, economy, etc. If they aren't informed then they are just filling in a circle when voting.

    ReplyDelete